Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Genies is culture’s leading avatar technology company empowering humans to create their own avatar experiences. To-date, Genies has been widely adopted by cultural tastemakers and has partnerships with Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group as their rosters’ “official avatar.” Genies has recently launched its consumer arm via its AR Developer Kit which allows developers to create interoperable avatar experiences for mobile and hardware AR. Their first avatar experience, Silver Studio, allows users to design and exchange digital fashion. Genies has raised $250M from investors such as Silver Lake, BOND, NEA, and Bob Iger valuing the company at $1 billion.
Genies is hiring an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our Cloud Infrastructure & DevOps team. This key leadership hire will report to the VP of Engineering and be seated in our new Bay Area office (San Mateo). As the engineering leader for Genies cloud infrastructure, you’ll be responsible for the availability, scalability, reliability and security of Genies cloud infrastructure. You will operate as the go-to technical leader for the team and play a pivotal role in mentoring, growing, and empowering your team.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is excited by the idea of developing scalable, reliable and efficient infrastructure, and the opportunity to develop, grow and mentor a talented team in a fast-paced, high growth environment. From time to time you’ll be expected to write production quality code, and partner with key cross functional team members to ensure our infrastructure needs are met. If the idea of being a part of a high growth and highly inventive environment aligns with your professional aspirations and goals, then Genies is the place for you!
What You’ll be Doing:
- Team Leadership: Take an inclusive approach to lead and mentor a team of skilled engineers, fostering a collaborative and high-performance work environment. Provide guidance, support, and coaching to help team members excel in their roles
- Technical Expertise: Operate as the go-to cloud infrastructure expert for Genies and all of our products
- Quality Assurance: Manage and maintain our AWS infrastructure using Terraform. This includes provisioning and managing AWS resources, automating AWS infrastructure changes, and monitoring AWS infrastructure performance
- Technical Strategy: Design Cloud-Native Architectures and optimize applications for AWS
- Technical Strategy: Profile and optimize for load, latency, reliability, availability, fault tolerance, and observability
- Technical Expertise: Manage and maintain our Kubernetes infrastructure. This includes optimizing cluster resource usage, cluster monitoring, and troubleshooting Kubernetes issues
- Talent Acquisition: Strategically build and scale the team through strong recruiting practices and approaches - recruiting is a passion
- Quality Assurance: Apply best practices in all aspects of service availability including security, testability, and release management
- Collaboration: Serve as the key partner across engineering on architectural designs and code reviews
- Technical Strategy: Coordinate infrastructure incident and outage response. This includes identifying and resolving incidents, communicating with customers and stakeholders during incidents, and effective post-mortem management
- Collaboration: Establish trust within and across teams by creating accountability and a positive work environment in partnership with other leaders in the organization
What You Should Have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Masters degree in Computer Science or related field is a plus
- 8+ years professional experience as a reliability, systems, devops, infrastructure, or platform engineer
- Proven track record of leading teams within either an early stage or high growth environment
- 3+ years experience managing teams of 5+ engineers as either a Lead OR Manager
- 7+ years of experience with cloud platforms. e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP (AWS preferred)
- Expertise in Infrastructure as Code (IaaC) specifically with Terraform and Amazon Web Services
- Expert level proficiency in Python and/or Golang
- Ability to write, debug, and optimize code is a plus
- Expert level knowledge of Kubernetes, containerized applications, and serverless architecture
- Expert level knowledge and ability designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting APIs services, distributed NoSQL and relational databases, caching systems, event-driven and multi-tier architectures
- Strong knowledge of task automation and CI/CD pipeline building
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and strong ownership
- Understanding of Unix/Linux operating systems
- Knowledge of cloud security best practices and cost-effective cloud architecture
How Genies will support you
Genies is a well-funded, growing start-up that cares deeply about each of our employees' growth and success. Our roles and their responsibilities are created with a breadth of scope that introduces each employee to exciting new challenges and opportunities that a growing start-up encounters. The actual base pay is dependent upon a number of factors, including: professional background, training, transferable skills, work experience, education, location, business and product needs, and market demand. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. Full-time employees may also be eligible for equity compensation, in addition to a robust health, wellness, and benefits package.
Starting Salary Range: $170,000.00 to $250,000.00 USD
Here's why you'll love working at Genies:
- You'll work with a team that you’ll be able to learn from and grow with, including support for your own professional development
- You'll be at the helm of your own career, shaping it with your own innovative contributions to a nascent team and product with flexible hours and a work from home policy
- You'll enjoy the culture and perks of a startup, with the stability of being well funded
- Comprehensive health insurance for you and your family (Anthem + Kaiser Options Available), Dental and Vision Insurance
- Competitive salaries for all full time employees
- Unlimited paid time off, sick time, and paid company holidays, in addition to paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and jury duty leave for full-time employees
- Health & wellness support through programs such as monthly wellness reimbursement
- Working in a brand new, bright, open-environment and fun office space - there’s even a slide!
Genies is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.